Bloedel Reserve has been nationally and internationally acclaimed for its 150 acres of forests, gardens, meadows and ponds. A Japanese pavilion and gardens, formal reflecting pool, moss garden and miles of trails surround the French Provincial mansion with spectacular views of Puget Sound from its terraces. Reservations are no longer required. There is an admission fee.
7571 NE Dolphin Drive, Bainbridge Island, WA.
Bainbridge Island Japanese-American Exclusion Memorial
Watch this video (5:34 Minutes)
Nidoto Nai Yoni, translated as "Let It Not Happen Again" is the motto and mission of the Bainbridge Island Japanese American Exclusion Memorial, designated a satellite unit of the Minidoka National Historic Site in Idaho by the National Parks Service in 2008.
It is located on the site of the former Eagledale ferry dock on Bainbridge Island, Washington, where on March 30, 1942, 272 men, women and children — two--thirds of them American citizens — were forcibly removed from their homes, rounded up by US Army soldiers armed with rifles fixed with bayonets and boarded a ferry for Seattle and three years of imprisonment.
The memorial commemorates and honors honor the strength and perseverance of the people involved — both those exiled and their island neighbors — and brings awareness of the powerful capacity of human beings and a nation to heal, forgive and care for one another. Its purpose is also to instruct future generations about the injustices of the past and to be forever vigilant about the fragility of assumed rights.
The centerpiece of the memorial is a walkway retracing the final steps of the departing islanders. Flanking the walkway is a 272--foot--long stone and wood wall that will contain the names and tell the unique American story of the 272 Japanese American residents of the island in 1942.
Future phases of the memorial include a 150--foot pier — one foot for each of the 150 people who finally returned to their island homes — and an interpretive and research center with meeting space and thematic artworks.
The memorial was designed by national award--winning architect and island resident Johnpaul Jones of the Seattle firm of Jones & Jones Architects. Jones is internationally recognized for several major projects, including the new National Museum of the American Indian in Washington, D. C.
Locate on the south side of Eagle Harbor at Taylor Avenue and Eagle Harbor Drive.
Battle Point Park & Kids Up Playground
The park gets its name from a battle between Native tribes on the point to the west of the current park. In 1941 the US Navy was planning to locate a radio transmitting on BainbridgeIsland, and the attack on Pearl Harbor cause the project to go forward without delay. In conjunction with the code school and code breaking facility at Fort Ward, the transmitting station base played an important and perhaps crucial role during World War II, operating the prime communications link between the mainland U.S. and the Pacific and breaking the Japanese code. The base was deactivated in 1959 and declared surplus in 1971. It was turned over to the local park district under an agreement which required the military to remove equipment and develop the site for public recreational use.
Current facilities include several baseball and soccer fields, volleyball, basketball, roller hockey & tennis courts, a picnic shelter, a pond, a pea-patch community garden, pedestrian trails, an equestrian area and the Ritchie Observatory (see next).
11299 Arrow Point Drive NE
Ritchie Astronomical Observatory & Rudolph Planetarium
Islanders Ed Ritchie and John Rudolph were among the founders of the Bainbridge Island Astronomical Association and the major force behind the creation of the observatory and planetarium. Ritchie, an engineer and inventor, built the telescope, using a surplus 20 inch mirror from the “Star Wars” program. Rudolph, an architect, provided the design for the transmitter building’s remodel and worked tirelessly to raise funds for the project.
There is a planetarium show once a month followed by a star party – weather permitting – when members bring their own telescopes and attendees have a chance to look through one of the largest amateur telescopes on the West Coast.
Battle Point Park, 11299 Arrow Point Drive NE
Bainbridge Gardens was begun in 1908 by Zenhichi Harui and became a well-known garden center and destination attraction featuring sculptured trees, fountains and ponds. The Harui family left island in 1942 along with 250 other residents of Japanese ancestry in the forced evacuation of Japanese-Americans during World War II, and the gardens fell into ruin due to neglect.
A few years ago, Harui's son Junkoh revived the nursery and restored much of the former beauty. A large variety of plants and tree, garden ornaments, equipment and gifts are sold, and a nature trail and memorial garden are part of the complex, with benches for relaxing and the New Rose Cafe providing coffee and snacks.
9415 Miller Road NE, Bainbridge Island, WA
Bainbridge Island Historical Museum
The historical museum is located within an easy walk from the Winslow ferry terminal. The main portion of the museum is a 1908 schoolhouse, originally located at Island Center. The new long-term exhibit, "An Island Story," invites visitors to enjoy a multi-media voyage through Bainbridge Island History. The museum is the recipient (awarded in May 2008) of a MUSE award for the creative use of technology in a small museum environment. The museum encompasses a research library, permanent and rotating exhibits, and a growing collection of cultural and historical photographs and artifacts.
215 Ericksen Avenue NE,
Kids Discovery Museum (Kidimu)
Kidimu moved to its new location in the Island Gateway complex in June 2010, offering local and visiting kids a fun place to play and explore. Permanent exhibits include the pirate’s tree house, “Our Town” shops, a real electric car and a science hall. There are also many activities, classes and workshops.
301 Ravine Lane NE (Winslow Way & State Hwy 305)
Historic Lynwood Theatre
The Historic Lynwood Theatre has been entertaining audiences since 1936 and was Bainbridge Island's first "talkie" movie theater and is one of the few single screen theaters still in operation in the new millennium. It now features specialty films: foreign films, documentaries, indie films, classics and silent films. Located in the Lynwood Center neighborhood at the south end of the island.
4569 Lynwood Center Rd
This island icon was created in 1971 by two high school sweethearts (who are still married). Frog Rock is a famous local landmark and even has its own Facebook page, along with Mount Rushmore and Uluru (Ayers Rock). Visitors like to have a photo portrait taken with Frog Rock for a souvenir of an authentic Bainbridge Island experience.
Intersection of Phelps Rd & North Madison Ave
Bainbridge Island Farmers Market
Every Saturday morning mid-April through October from 9 AM to 1 PM, the Bainbridge Farmers Market offers local produce, meats, dairy & eggs, art, crafts, jewelry and wearables, and an assortment of food ready to eat on the spot. Plus live music and festive family fun. The Winter Market runs from Nov. 21 through Dec. 19 at Eagle Harbor Congregational Church.
Summer Market -- Town Square