Does my vehicle need to have an emissions test?
If your car is registered in Kitsap County, you currently do not have to have a vehicle emissions test.
What happens if I lose the title to my vehicle?
To replace a title:
- Complete an Affidavit of Loss form. All registered owners must sign the form, and the signatures must be notarized. If there is a lien holder on the title, the lien holder must apply for the duplicate title.
- Submit the completed form:
by mail with a check or money order for $9 to:Department of Licensing
PO Box 9909
Olympia, WA 98507-8500
in person at any vehicle licensing office with cash or a check for $9 plus service fees.
Your duplicate title will be mailed to you in 8-10 weeks.
What should I know about buying a used vehicle?
Read this information from Washington State Department of Licensing.
How do I transfer title when buying from a private party?
Full information at the DOL web site.
What is Use Tax and when do I have to pay it?
Use Tax is charged instead of Sales Tax in some circumstances.
If I sell my car, why should I file a Report of Sale?
Filing a Report of Sale can protect you from liabilities.
What if I have a vehicle, like an antique car, that I drive only occasionally — does it need a license?
You can obtain a Trip Permit to drive an unlicensed vehicle for short periods of time.
How can I get a special or custom license plate?
Washington State offers two kinds of special license plates: special design plates and personalized plates.
Does my cat need a license?
No, on Bainbridge Island, only dogs are required to be licensed. Cat licenses are optional, but may help recover the animal if the cat becomes lost.
Do I need to register a dinghy or tender?
A tender or dinghy is exempt from registration if:
- It has less than a 10 horsepower engine
- It is owned by the same owner as the main vessel (which has valid registration)
- It displays the number of the main vessel followed by the suffix “1”
- It is used only as direct transport between the main registered vessel and the shore