The Bainbridge Island Chamber of Commerce and Bainbridge Youth Services are pleased to announce the return of an eight-week summer employment and workforce certification program connecting local youth employees (ages 16-24) with employers and the local business/nonprofit community on Bainbridge Island.
Thanks to the generous support of the Rotary Club of Bainbridge Island and Kitsap Bank, 2023’s program is expanded in size and it’s long-term structure and sustainability is now being actively established.
- Place curated selection of local youth into engaging local opportunities accompanied by a living wage for the summer (or multiple summers).
- Connect local businesses with motivated, driven local youth to develop mutually-beneficial professional relationships in our community.
- Offer practical experience and education for young people wishing to understand what it means to successfully work in a business setting, and supplement with soft skill workshops on strategic thinking, workplace communication, professionalism, and financial literacy offering in partnership with the Rotary Club of Bainbridge Island.
- Certify program graduation with an official Work Ready qualification signed by Chamber President, BYS Exec Director, City Manager, and Bainbridge Rotary President.
2023 PROGRAM DETAILS:
- 15 Work Ready Bainbridge slots available for employers
- Employee Commitment: 20 hours a week for 8 weeks
- Employer Commitment: Meaningful project/opportunity with $17/hr wage
- $500 Program Completion Scholarship boosts total employee compensation to equivalent of $20/hr
- BYS/Chamber working on community grants, sponsorships, partnerships to further defray employer/admin costs
- Erika Borg of Civic Allies (and Rotary’s Career Exploration Committee Chair) will serve as official program advisor
2023 PROJECT TIMELINE:
April/May: Application period for pilot participants/applicants (closes Tuesday May 9)
May: Candidate interviews
June: Final interviews/decisions/placements
WORK READY LAUNCH DAY: June 26 (first day of Summer)
How To Participate: Employers
If you are a Bainbridge Chamber member, please head on over to the Employer Registration page here at bainbridgechamber.com to provide details of the project, position, or opportunity you would like to propose as one of the 15 slots in the 2023 Work Ready Bainbridge program.
How To Participate: Employees
If you are a local 16-24-year-old who would like to be one of the members of Work Ready Bainbridge’s 2023 youth cohort, please send a cover letter and your resume to [email protected].
Deadline for 2023 Registrations: End of day on May 9
Please also feel free to ask questions or make suggestions by dropping by our offices, giving us a call, or reaching out via the Chamber Contact Page